Fire safety is important. If you don’t believe us, just watch this video.
Here are a few things you can do to ensure you are serving your congregation safely:
- Use steel in all rigging (gak flex type spansets, chain, and steel wire are great fireproof rigging materials)
- Use fire-rated materials for stage designs
- Use the right size cabling for lights (undersized wire and damaged wiring put you in danger of electrical fires)
- Make certain fire exits are kept clear at all times
- Have fire extinguishers in locations near the stage and FOH
- Have a plan if something ever does happen
- Fire treat any material that is not fire retardant
ModScenes.com now makes and sells all of their scenic out of fire rated Coroplast. It is pretty cool stuff. It’s UL 94 V-2 fire rated and will self extinguish within 5 seconds. Check out some set ideas using them here.
Here are a few other options for sets that take fire safety into account and look great.